Sunday, July 26, 2015

Acacia's Story (Land Family, Part 4)


In winter of 2013 my family found out that the BRCA 2 gene was among us. I remember reading the email from my aunt that started the “family affair.” I was sitting there with my husband on the couch and I remember crying as I read the email. At 31 it is not something you really think about or want to think about. I remembered immediately talking to my mom to see if she was going to be tested, which she was. I remember telling myself not worry and wait to find out if my mom was positive first before really “thinking” about it. In January, the news came back that both my grandma, who is a two time breast cancer survivor, and my mom tested positive for the gene.

My mom took action quickly and by March she was all set to have her preventative double mastectomy and her complete hysterectomy. I was there with my step-dad the day my mom had her marathon surgeries. It was a long day, but knew my mom was getting excellent care and getting to kick cancer’s ass before it could kick hers.  

By the end of April 2014, I made my appointment to see the genetic counselor and after what seemed like forever, my insurance finally approved the test. In June, a few days after my first cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer at 33, I got my results; I too was BRCA 2 positive. I have an 84% chance of breast cancer by the time I am 70 I was told. I remember sitting there in the doctor’s office, expecting my results to be positive, but still crying when I heard the news. I guess I was holding out hope that the 50% chance was going to be in my favor.  The genetic counselor and I talked about the results and what the different options do to diminish your chances of breast and ovarian cancer.

I called my husband right after I left the doctor’s office, crying as I told him the results. He was so encouraging and supportive. We had decided prior to finding out the results that I wasn’t going to “jump” right in a do the preventative double mastectomy because we had a trip to Jamaica planned for a friend’s wedding in a few months. We thought in the next year or two, that is when I will do it. So, I chose the early screening route. Not once did I think I would have any issues in regards to insurance. Call it naïve, but I just assumed that because I was deemed high risk, everything would be okay on that front. So, I scheduled my very first mammogram.

On a Friday afternoon, I got a call from the breast center that preformed my mammogram; this also happened to be the day my cousin was having her double mastectomy. I was told that there were some microcalcifications that were of some concern and they wanted me to come in for a diagnostic mammogram. I remember feeling defeated and thinking how much I didn’t want to follow in my cousin’s footprints, but knew the possibility was there.

A few days later I had both my vaginal ultrasound and my diagnostic mammogram. My ultrasound came back fine…just an ovarian cyst, but nothing to be concerned about. My diagnostic mammogram still caused some concern for the radiologist and we subsequently scheduled a contrast MRI and a breast biopsy. By the time all of this went down, my husband and I had to cancel our trip to Jamaica. We just didn’t have the finances at that time to pull off the expenses of the MRI, breast biopsy, and the trip to Jamaica. Thankfully, the MRI came back clear and the biopsy didn’t show any signs of cancer. I remember feeling so relieved. I was at work and remember coming out my office crying, happy tears, that I dodged it for now.

Everything happened so quickly and it took a month for my explanation of benefits to arrive for my screenings and procedures. My MRI and biopsy were all preapproved and I had no issues. My mammogram, diagnostic mammogram, and vaginal ultrasound were a different story.

Each one came back denied for not being a covered benefit under my plan…over $1800 worth of procedures. After nearly 5 months of calling the cancer center and my insurance company, things were slowly getting sorted out. The diagnostic mammogram was cleared first, a billing code error and it was covered at 100%. Then my ultrasound was finally corrected and covered as well at 100%. However the first mammogram, the one that started my roller coaster kept coming back denied, regardless of the information submitted or the codes that were used. It became clear that my last hope was to do an appeal to my insurance company.

So in December, almost 6 months after it all started, I sat down and wrote an appeal letter to my insurance company, making my case to cover the mammogram. I submitted my test results, peer-reviewed journal articles, information from different websites, and information given to me by my doctor. During that time, I kept getting the bill for the mammogram. Watching as the deadline would come and pass. I knew the “drop dead” date in which the bill needed to be paid by before it would go to collections…February 4, 2015. A week before the deadline, I finally received a response. My insurance company granted me a ONE time exemption to their policy for the mammogram. They made it really clear; this would be the only time they would make this exception.

So here I am now, wishing I could have a preventative double mastectomy so I can kick cancer’s ass before it has a chance to kick mine, but I can’t. My insurance company, which I have through work, doesn’t cover enhanced screenings for women at high risk nor does it cover preventative surgeries. I also make too much money to receive assistance to cover mammograms from multiple non-profits in the area.

I have moments of jealousy when I hear of women, even ones in their early 20s, having no problems getting the screenings or the preventative surgeries covered. Why? Why can’t I be one of them? I remember initially thinking that I was happy I was the sister who came out positive while the other two came out negative because I felt I had the support system and finances to handle what was a head of me. Now, I don’t think that way as much, instead I have the weird feeling of wishing that the biopsy showed cancer so I could just bite the bullet now instead of wondering when it will happen. I mean sure there is a 16% chance I will never get breast cancer, but the odds are so not in my favor.

So what am I doing? Well, in June I will have another mammogram, which I will pay completely out-of-pocket. It is hard to say what I want the results to be. If it shows cancer, I can do something about it now. If I don’t have breast cancer than whoohoo, I don’t have cancer, but will be left wondering when will my time come? When will I get the news my grandma received twice and my cousin, who is just a year older than me, received? When I turn 35, I will be able to get one mammogram covered, but will have to wait until I am 40 before they would cover another one and then 50 until they will cover them yearly. All I am left with is hoping my insurance will change its policy sooner rather than later. I cannot afford the traditional early screenings my doctor and many other doctors recommend. I cannot afford paying for a yearly contrast MRI, but at least I can afford the yearly mammogram and I can only hope that if cancer does make its presences in my “time bombs” that the mammogram will catch it and catch it early.

~Acacia Fike-Nelson~