Monday, July 20, 2015

Betty's Story (Land Family, Part 1)


In 1995, (age 55) my routine mammogram showed suspicious calcifications which turned out to be ductal carcinoma in situ.  It was treated with a lumpectomy, followed by radiation.  In 2012, (age 72) my routine mammogram showed suspicious calcifications in the other breast, which turned out to be invasive ductal carcinoma.  Once again, did the lumpectomy, but followed with chemotherapy and radiation.   My Mom came from a family of 9 children.  Her 2 brothers passed away in their 70’s, one from Lymphoma and one from lung cancer.  Two sisters passed away from cancer, one was leukemia in her 70’s and the other from ovarian cancer at the age of 89.  The remaining 5 children lived well into their 80’s, and passed away from other causes.   My Mom passed away at the age of 89 from her osteoporosis, which restricted her lung capacity.  She did have a hysterectomy back in the 1950’s.  Dad came from a family of 4 children, none of them had cancer.  He passed away at the age of 87 from failure to take his seizure medication.    My Grandfather on my Dad’s side, passed away from stomach cancer in 1952 at the age of 84.  The other 3 grandparents died from other causes in their 80’s.   A first cousin, daughter of the uncle who passed away from lymphoma, had breast cancer in her 50’s, 17 years ago, was tested this year for 15 mutations but is negative on all.   A first cousin, daughter of the aunt who passed away at age 89 of ovarian cancer, had a brain tumor around 10 years ago and this year has had a lumpectomy, she is 77.    My sister age 79, has not had cancer, has not been tested and doesn’t want to be tested.  She did have a hysterectomy when she was in her 30’s.

In October 2013, Marie Wheeler, (daughter) going for her annual gynecology checkup, the doctor suggested that she might want to get tested for the BRCA mutation, because of my past cancers.  Consequently, it came back that she had the BRCA2 mutation.  She shared this information with the rest of the family and that she was going to do the surgeries to lower her risks.    The beginning of 2014 found the remainder of the family getting tested, which showed that other daughter, Lila Land, and two granddaughters, Nikki Wheeler and Acacia Fike-Nelson have the mutation, plus myself.   Our son, grandson and 2 grand daughters do not.  Stats are:  5 with the mutation – 4 without the mutation.

I showed my oncologist Marie’s report on my routine visit in January 2014 and he asked me if it turned out that I carried the mutation if I would go ahead with what needed to be done to lower my chances.  , My test results came back that I did carry the Brca2 mutation.   The oncologist informed me as such and said that a Coordinator of Preventive Care Program for Women’s Cancer would be contacting me to set up my appointments.   I had my hysterectomy in June 2014 and my mastectomy in August 2014.  All  tissues came back clear.