Friday, July 31, 2015

Lila's Story (Land Family, Part 5)

 


In October 2013 my sister Marie tested positive for BRCA2.   This started what was to be a very eventful and busy year for my family.  My mother, Betty a twice breast cancer survivor & I had our genetic testing done in January 2014. We both came back positive.
 
 When my sister advised me what course of action she was going to do to reduce her chances of breast & ovarian cancer I felt it was extreme.   As I thought about the risks she was facing and possibly what I also could face if I carried the mutated gene, I decided that maybe is was not so extreme after all but wise.  So I talked to my husband - who is a boob man- and decided that if I did indeed test positive I would have a mastectomy and hysterectomy or what I refer to as the Full Monty. 


 When the genetic counselor informed me that I was indeed positive for the mutated gene.  I did shed a few tears.  My tears were more for my three daughters then myself.  I now knew  that they had a 50% chance of inheriting the BRCA2.  When the counselor started to inform me of my options I stopped her and advised her that I had already did my research & was prepared to undergo surgery. Three weeks later I was able to meet the three surgeons that would be performing the operations.  I was fortunate that all the doctors worked in the same medical complex and I was able to meet the whole team at the same time.   They told me I could have all the surgeries performed on the same day I said let's do it.  When one of my surgeons asked when I want to undergo the procedures I said the sooner the better, I had to be ready for elk hunting season in October.  I truly thought the doctor was going to fall out of his chair with my comment.  He then looked at me and said that I was the first woman he has ever had as a patient that said she wanted surgery in the spring so she could hunt in the fall. This must of made a lasting impression because the first thing I remember in the recovery room was the nurse telling me that I would be up & hunting in no time. 

 I was fortunate that I did not have any issues  with my insurance.  I think that the fact that I was 53 years old, BRCA2+ and had a mother that was a breast cancer survivor cleared the way for insurance to play along.
  On March 21, 2014 I underwent the Full Monty in Vail Colorado,   Nothing like having a hospital room with a view of the ski sloops during spring break.  My recovery and fills went smoothly.  On June 5, 2014 (my 9th Wedding Anniversary) I returned to Vail Hospital and  hand my exchanged for my new boobs.   Happy Anniversary hubby how do you like my new boobs? 

The BRCA2 mutated gene has a strong hold in my family, my mother, sister, my 33 year old niece, who I am proud to say is now a breast cancer 
survivor, and one of my three daughters.  We refer to our plight as the Family Affair.    

 Of the five of us, four have had the Full Monty,  my daughter has ran into some issues with her insurance covering preventive surgeries,  I still hold out hope that they will come around.
  I was the first in the family to undergo the Fully Monty, remember I had to be ready for hunting season so I was in a hurry.  I texted pictures of my progress to my family after every fill.  My family joked that they wanted me to go first so I could let them know if it hurt.    

 We have keep a sense of humor during the last year.  We have our t-shirts that say "Heck yea there fake the real ones tried to kill me."    I have been stopped several time and asked about the t-shirt, I find this a great educational tool and encourage women to get mammograms.  

 In the last year I have discovered several things about my new boobs,  they get COLD,  I live in the highest city in North America & it can snow any month of the year.  I better have a bra or base layer on or I will be walking around with two 
ice cubes for boobs.   I sure wish someone would invent boob warmers. I have also done a repeat of the hot flashes & night sweats - I told my husband if he ever sees me outside in the snow naked doing snow angles, I'm just trying to cool down. Please don't think I have lost my mind.    On a positive note I do have a  new party trick, I can flex my peck muscles and my boobs move up and down just like the body builders on the beach.  If I'm ever at a nude beach or need a great bar trick this could come in handy.    If I can pass along one thing that I feel will help other going down this road is to keep a sense humor.  Cry when you need to, but laugh as often as you can. 

 As I enter into my second year as a Previous,  I keep moving forward with a smile on my face and perfecting my peck flexes just in case I ever end up on a nude beach.