Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Irene's Story

s

It was 2013 when I got a call back from my Dr's office stating that I had calcification in my right breast. I was shocked and scared.  Dr's sent me to get a biopsy.  It turned out that I had invasive DCIS. 

My Dr was unwilling to test me, so being proactive, I self refereed myself to a genetic counselor. Being Ashkenazi Jewish puts me in a higher risk for having the mutation. It was a week or so after my lumpectomy when I got my results. I was BRCA2 positive. 

  After six months of grueling chemo and much research, I made the decision to have a bilateral mastectomy and an oopherectomy in order to greatly reduce my risk of breast cancer reaccurance. Being a mutant also increases contralateral breast cancer up to 65%. The decisions that I made were the best decision that I could have ever made for myself and for my family.